I Need... Green Bean Recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Need... Green Bean Recipes

I picked up a huge bag of organic green beans at Costco for about $6, and now I'm looking for ways to cook them up. Any ideas?

I was thinking maybe a green bean and tomato dish of some sort to serve with roasted chicken tonight. I've been increasingly avoiding canned products due to concerns regarding BPA leaching into the foods, but I found these boxed Pomi tomatoes at my local grocery store, and have been wanting to give them a try.

Also, I've never made them before, but I had these crunchy dried green bean snacks from a farmer's market over the summer and thought maybe I'd give making them a try. I'll let you know how they turn out! If nothing else, I figure they'll be good to add to soups and casseroles, and the dried form won't take up freezer space!
    Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it - William Arthur Ward
    Today is the FIRST day of the REST of your life...what will YOU make of it?
    No trees were harmed in making this post. However, millions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Are they whole greenbeans? If so, try holding a few together, wrap a piece of bacon around them and bake for a few minutes until bacon is done and beans are tender. You will have fat from the bacon but you can drain almost all of it off.

Have you ever made greenbean casserole with mushroom soup and french fried onions (from a can)? This is a seasonal favorite in the south.

It is hard to beat just green beans cooked with a piece of ham. The ham can be lean and you don't have much fat and it does add a lot of flavor to the beans.

Good luck!

Comment

My mother's side is from TX, and we used to have green bean casserole for almost every major holiday. Cooking them with ham is delicious too, thanks for the reminder!

The dehydrator seems to be working pretty well so far, I'm hoping that they'll be dry by sometime tomorrow, and then I might start on a new batch. This is so much less expensive than buying dried vegetables at the store here! I'm looking forward to maybe trying to dehydrate some of the other vegetables in my freezer as well. I could really use the storage space...
      Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it - William Arthur Ward
      No trees were harmed in making this post. However, millions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

I cook my green beans in a pot with onion, bacon grease (1-2 Tbs.), some pieces of ham or bacon bits, some salt, and 1 Tbs. sugar. I put a lid on the pot after it comes to a boil, then turn it down to simmer and let it cook for about 45 - 60 minutes stirring occasionally. Take the lid off the last 10 minutes and turn the fire up a bit. They are delicious. Rarely are there left-overs.
        Whether you think you can or think you can't.....you're right.

"There is no try; you either do or don't." Yoda

Comment

Another thing I do when I cook green beans is about 30 minutes before removing them from the heat, I put a few whole potatoes in them and when the potatoes are tender you have a whole meal! Ham for meat, green beans & potatoes. I usually serve this with raw onion and cornbread. Yum - true southern treat.

Comment

I also sometimes throw them in with my vegetable soup, great on a chilly day! The snow here is coming down hard, and the wind is starting to pick up a little. It's very pretty outside my window, though.

The dried green beans are coming along. I think I might have been better off using my dehydrator, rather than the dehydrator function on my toaster oven though, as it's taking a bit longer than expected. They might be dry by tomorrow morning, though.

Comment

In the South, dried green beans are called FODDER BEANS. I have some which are over 35 years old. They are still good (oh quit making those sounds) because they are totally dried. They have a different flavor than regular green beans when they're fresh. Fixed with bacon or ham pieces in the water and some onions is good fare an a cold winter's day.
              Whether you think you can or think you can't.....you're right.

"There is no try; you either do or don't." Yoda

Comment

Yes, Fodder Beans! I remember stringing them up and hanging them in the attic to dry....when we lived in Tenn. over 30 yrs. ago. We lived in an old farm house (taking care of my husband's parents), and Mother supervised the whole operation. They do taste different than fresh beans. We cooked them just like you said Trudy and tasted very good in the winter when it was snowing outside. Also, the blackberries that we had picked in the warmer months made wonderful cobbler. That was the good times and we didn't realize it!
                Your attitude towards life defines not only who you are, but the quality of life you are after.
                Conservation is a big long word for maintaining what you've worked so hard to achieve.

Comment

The batch came out really well, and I already have another batch drying in the toaster oven. I thought about hanging them up, but there's a lot of "stuff" in the air here due to the pets. Thanks for the cooking suggestions, I'll make sure to write them on a label for the jar!

Comment

Once when I made blackberry jam it did not jell enough and I used it to make cobbler. It was wonderful - very sweet, but oh so good!

Comment

We had blackberries, raspberries, and honeysuckles on the back wall growing up. Oh, how I miss them. While I was out west in Montana over the summer a couple years back, I fell in love with huckleberries. Now, whenever we or family go out there, they bring back a jar of huckleberry jam (and some huckleberry syrup for Christmas! :D) for me, since it's no where to be found in DC, and the shipping for the glass jars is very expensive. Some day, I hope to be able to grow berries in my own yard again.

Comment

Working...
                      X