November 2012 From My Perspective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• November 2012 From My Perspective

I've started writing what I am thankful for. It was encouraged by someone on FACEBOOK to do this for 30 days of November. Right now, I'm passed 30 and heading for even more. Maybe they'll extend it through December!!

I am thankful for you, dear Reader. Thank you for your encouragement to continue writing this "joy ride" I started in 2002. Wow!! 10 years and still going and receiving requests from others to have it e-mailed.

Blessings to you,
    Trudy

---------------------------

2012 November FROM MY PERSPECTIVE

Fall….my most favorite season of all. To me it signals the heat of summer is over, the pollen is gone, warm blankets get used, pumpkin goodies are made, and hearty soups are prepared and eaten. However, with all the positive, there is the negative. In the North we are faced with: no color other than grey, white, or drab; no sun; no leaves, November. It is the eleventh month on the Gregorian calendar, but if you know some Latin, “novem” means NINE. This, of course, confuses some because before November is October and “octo” means 8. Here we go again!!!

PUZZLE: These 7 words all have something in common. See if you can discover what it is. The answer is at the bottom of the last page. 1. Banana 2. Dresser 3. Grammar 4. Potato 5. Revive 6. Uneven 7. Assess

Pepsi-Cola was created by a pharmacist, Caleb D. Bradham, who gave his tonic its name (from Greek pepsis, “digestion”). In the 1940s, Pepsi adopted a red, white, and blue logo to support America's war effort. Did you know that the actress Joan Crawford was appointed to the board of directors of Pepsi Cola? The fact was that she was an asset to the company during the 1960s until her forced retirement a few years before she died in 1977.

Whoever said nothing was impossible never tried slamming a revolving door.

My mother used to tell me to wash my hands before eating. I would reply, "Mother, you have to eat a bushel of dirt before you die." Her reply was, "You don't have to eat it all at one meal."

Many wealthy people are little more than janitors of their possessions. Frank Lloyd Wright, architect (1867-1959)

“I just can’t seem to lose weight; in fact, Trudy, I’m gaining,” Brenduhh cried to me. “I’ve been taking these Watching Weight diet pills and they aren’t working,” she continued. “How many do you take a day?” I asked. “Well, they really taste good, so I usually eat about 10,” she said. “Gods, Brenduhh!! I never heard of one taking 10 diet pills a day. Where did you get them?” “I found them at the grocery store. Here are some I brought with me,” she said handing them to me. Sure enough there was an emblem which read “W & W” until I turned them around. “Brenduhh, these are NOT diet pills. You’ve been reading them upside down,” I told her sweetly.

I have learnt silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to these teachers. -Kahlil Gibran, mystic, poet, and artist (1883-1931)

Stephen gave me some lip the other day all over taking a shower. I promised him that when he went to school, I'd clean out his room of all the things he likes and toss them in a dumpster "far, far way". He mentally ruminated that and 15 minutes later told me he was going to take his shower and it would be "the last one I’ll EVER take in my life." I said, "O.k., Stinky. You know that will be your new name. I'll put it on the front page of the Peoria Journal Star with your picture so no one will get confused about who you are. Wash you hair two times with shampoo and use some soap on your body while you're at it." "Gods, MOM!!!! You're such a troll." "Am not", "Are too", "Am not, three." "WHAT?????" "I love you, Stinky." Door slams and there is grumbling in the tiled bathroom. Later I asked him if he felt better. He told me he did. I told him, "Showers wash away all sorts of stuff, stink, and nasty behavior, huh?"

I want one of those jobs that some people ask, “So you actually get paid to do this?”….a taste tester at Ben and Jerry’s or the New York cheesecake factory would be great. You’ll notice GREEN GIANT veggie taster was not mentioned.

Hubby Dearest and I had a heated argument one time. I gave him the silent treatment. I heard him talking on the phone saying, “Trudy is angry with me. She’s giving me the silent treatment. She thinks it’s a punishment.” He was so brave!! He came to me one morning and said, “I just won an argument with you, Tootsie.” I looked at him smiling, “Oh? You just woke up from a dream, huh?”

A fella told me, “I think I’ve seen you before.” I said to him, “Oh no!!! I thought I had my before covered.” You should have seen his face. I knew a gal who was 5’4” dated a fella who was 6’9”. He was nuts over her. Apparently when someone tells you to “get a grip”, having your hands around their neck isn’t what they mean.

Hubby and I were having “intense fellowship” one day. I told him I didn’t think men had feelings. He disagreed. Angrily I quipped, “How would you know?” He countered with, “Well, I’m having feelings of irritation with you, now, because I have feelings of hunger.” I just walked away.

I’ve heard that the DUCT tape company is going to put Justin Bieber’s photo on its newest product. I think the picture needs to be of someone who is recognized by many; someone who has proven they can hold things together.
    There are over 7 trillion nerves in the human body. Some people I know are capable of getting on every last one of them, and then have the audacity to ask why I’m grouchy.

In September I was talking with a person about the coming election. He is as disgruntled as I am. I told him, “Well, I’m voting for Mickey Mouse and his pal. He’s the only one who will admit he has a Goofy friend for a running mate.” As the conversation progressed, or digressed depending on your political views, we talked about “dark horses” mentioning Harry S. Truman and that those days are over, and Jimmy Carter a next-to-nothing president. I told him, “Speaking of dark horses and surprises, Bill Clinton had a dark closet.” He asked me what I thought about dark horses. I told him, “Well, they look very nice in light colored saddles.

QUESTION DEPT.: Isn’t interesting that the word “ass” is spelled twice in succession in the word ASSASSINATE? Why is it after motherhood, those kids’ songs are still stuck in my head? “You do the HOKEY POKEY and turn yourself around”. Which is a segue to: I was sitting on a spin around stool at a diner one time. That dang song popped into my head and I just had to spin and turn yourself around. People started staring at me. So, I got up and started singing it. Guess what? There were others in there who knew the song, too. You should have seen how nimble the waitresses were dodging all those “Put your left foot in, put your left foot out, put your left foot in and shake it all about. Now turn yourself around.” Why is it that on week-days you have to drag yourself out of bed wishing you could sleep longer; however, on the week-end, when you can sleep longer, your brain wakes up at the butt crack of dawn and you’re wide-awake?

I slept very well until around 4. Then the coyotes started their choruses of "Get Up You Sleepyhead" using the notes and key only they can find. I silently said, "Oh shut UP!!" Amazingly, I think my powers of thought did the trick; they shut up, and I drifted off to sleep until 6; then the teen terrorists got up.

Brenduhh came over laughing. I asked her what was so funny. She said, “Did you know you can tell a woman’s attitude by her hands?” “Really? Wow, that’s interesting,” I exclaimed. “Oh yes. If she has them around a Colt .45 it means she’s really upset.”

Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them. -James Baldwin, writer (1924-1987) I was telling my kids one of my life’s stories. As I talked, their eyes rolled, sighs were given, and squirming persisted. I guess these stories have been told too many times to them, but they serve an educational purpose. I realize that I repeat these stories because I’m trying to show I ceased to have a life after they were born. I’m using it as subliminal birth control.

A friend of mine said, “The saying 'divorced women are a dime a dozen, but divorced men are precious commodities' is true. But, all the single/divorced men I meet think they are worthy of a hot, young, Hollywood starlet type. What do you think, Trudy?” I told her, “That is why they are probably divorced in the first place-----their egos got in the way of commitment, respect, and honor. Those are 3 things which are necessary to have a good marriage survive.”

I have a friend whose father-in-law has gained little respect from her. She refers to him as “The Ass Clown”. Her hubby is to have a colonoscopy soon. I told her, “I hope they won’t find the family tree up there; however, there may be a horn, rubber nose, and wig hiding somewhere in that area.”

The other day I had to sneeze and didn't have time to cross my legs. Well, the inevitable at my age happened. After the third sneeze, I was able to get to the bathroom. One of the kids saw my pants and said, "Mom, did you wet your pants?" I snarled, "No, I cried so hard the tears ran down my legs." Kids can be so nosy at times.

A chef was experimenting with ways to improve the taste of carp. He found that mixing herbs and spices with shortening made a big difference; however, timing is critical. So, when the chef received a phone call, he said he couldn't talk, explaining: "I left my carp in saffron Crisco."

The fear of Halloween is SAMHAINOPHOBIA.

There is a 45 acre farm in Dixon, CA which is a corn maze. There are 9 miles of correct paths to get out; it takes about 1 hour. If you goof, it will take you much longer….sometimes hours. I can’t figure out why anyone would want to go in there. There are laws about stalking, for crying out loud.

Just in from the advice columnist in the Math dept. “Dear Algebra, Quit asking me to find your X. He/She is not coming back. I don’t know Y, either. Maybe your pie is square and not round.”

Morpheus’ name, the god of dreams in Greek mythology, is used in many of our words. He was the son of Hypnos, the god of sleep. The name of the drug morphine is also derived after Morpheus. Hypnotic and hypnotist are derived from Hypnos Hmmm, like father like son, if you look at the definition of their names.

inveigh (in-VAY) verb intr. To complain or protest with great hostility. [From Latin invehi (to attack with words), from invehere (to carry in). This word leads to the expression of “Oy Vey!”, which is usually said at the end of another’s droning of complaints or a child’s protests. It’s uttered frequently here.

Recently, my challenged son helped our minister with communion and its distribution. While facing the congregation, he waved at me. I had to talk to him about waving at me from the alter as he helped with communion. I told him, "Do not wave when you're at the alter helping Reverend Joe with communion. That is a sacred place and a sacred act." He looked at me and said, "O.K. But, Mom, I wasn't scared up there, and I wasn't scared doing what I did." How interesting that the switching of two letters, which are side-by-side, change the meaning of a word from "Holy" to "Holy cow!" We had a phonics and diction lesson after that.

I recently read this: I’m sorry you’re mad because you just found out the world does not revolve around you. Here, let me pour you a tall glass of “Get-over-it” complete with a Chinese dish of “Awww, so?”. I wish I’d seen this when I taught high school English. I would have printed it on little cards and given them out.

Here is the difference between the beginning of a fairy tale told in the North and one in the South. North: “Once upon a time….”; South: “Y’all ain’t gonna believe this….”

There is actually a strawberry museum in Belgium. It is so popular around there that on the second day of its opening the doors were jammed.

“If you don’t know where you are going, you’ll wind up somewhere else.” Yogi Berra

I signed-up for group therapy last week. I would have been attending more of the sessions, but the voices in my head kept arguing with each other, so I quit.

There are certain words which I like to say. They feel good tripping off my tongue. They are: quixotic, quizzical, eerier, persnickety, precipitous, lollipop, lollapalooza, linoleum, aluminum, and labyrinthine. What are your favorite words to say?

Have you ever: spelled a word so wrong that “spell check” doesn’t even recognize it?; said a cuss word only to hear it be repeated in front of your minister?; put off going to the doctor’s until you lost 5-10 pounds?; ever thought that global warming is just Mother Nature having a hot flash?; that voting is like picking your favorite mosquito out of a swarm? that turning your clock back won’t make you any younger?

Blessings and smiles……Trudy J

Each word not only has 2 sets of double letters, it has the fact that if you take the first letter of the word, put it at the end, it will read the same backwards as forwards.
    Whether you think you can or think you can't.....you're right.

"There is no try; you either do or don't." Yoda

Trudy, thanks for putting some sunshine into this dreary day! I can relate to Brenduhd - I really like the "W-W" diet pills, but they don't work for me either. I have tried them in all colors and flavors with the same disappointing results! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. We do have SO MUCH to be thankful for. God bless.

Comment

You are very welcome. It is my pleasure to know do it and know there are people who enjoy it. Blessings and I hope your Thanksgiving is gentle and good.
      Whether you think you can or think you can't.....you're right.

"There is no try; you either do or don't." Yoda

Comment

Working...
      X