Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May 2013 newsletter from Trudy

MAY 2013 “FMP”
    For most of you, there are probably flowers blooming in your yard or area. The trees are budding or have a lot of leaves, and the grass is getting greener. Then there is the wonderful pollen to deal with. For me, it is a bother with stuffy nose, coughing, and sneezing; and at my age, when I sneeze and cough my bladder cries tears. I know that without the pollen there would be less foliage, but after months of the windows being closed, I have to continue to have them closed until the pollen count is very low. That takes until about the start of summer. Then, the heat and humidity start and it’s back to closed windows so the air conditioning can do its job. Of course in the Spring, there is the change in one’s body chemistry and blood. There really is a thing called Spring Fever. “Although the causes of spring fever have not yet been fully resolved, hormone balance may play a role. According to this hypothesis the body’s reserves of the “happiness hormone” serotonin, whose production depends on daylight, become exhausted over the winter, making it especially easy for the “sleep hormone” melatonin to have its effect. When the days become longer in springtime, the body readjusts its hormone levels, and more endorphin, testosterone and estrogen are released. This changeover puts a heavy strain on the body, which responds with a feeling of tiredness. In addition, temperatures usually fluctuate greatly in springtime. When temperatures rise, blood pressure drops, since the blood vessels expand. Food also plays a role. In winter one tends to consume more calories, fat and carbohydrates than in summer. But, during the hormone adjustment period the body requires more vitamins and proteins instead.”(Wikipedia) So, in essence, pass the chocolate and some cheese. I’ll be filipendulous until then. filipendulous (fi-li-PEN-juh-luhs, -PEN-dyoo-) adjective: Hanging by a thread. [From Latin filum (thread) + pendere (to hang). Ultimately from theIndo-European root (s)pen- (to draw, to spin), which is also the source of pendulum, spider, pound, pansy, pendant, ponder, appendix, penthouse, depend, and spontaneous. Earliest documented use: 1864.]

Cheerfulness and contentment are great beautifiers and are famous preservers of youthful looks. -Charles Dickens, novelist (1812-1870)

I think there should be a law that requires us to hire teenagers while they still know it all. Why waste their knowledge at the fast-food joints?

A friend of mine sent this to me. He and his wife have very busy lives with their work and don’t get to do much on the romantic side of life. “I was awakened early by the soft sweet voice of my wife. She was dressed very appropriately for that hour of night. She wanted to go for a romantic walk in the snow ... a couple of horses had managed to get out.”

I went to a hunting safety class. Here is what I learned: wear orange even if it's not your favorite color; hunt with responsible people who can see; wear a steel whistle in case you need help; take some toilet paper because that leaf you use may cause you some trouble in the end; BE CAREFUL. I’ve had another day where I didn’t have to use Algebra. I, also, haven’t had to diagram a sentence to balance a checking account, clean the house, shop for groceries, be a happy, or raise 5 children. Interesting how my English professor thought that process was so important to life.

If you remember the February newsletter, I told of the four-legged therapists who have lived with me and their antics. I invited you to send me stories of your “therapists” which others may enjoy. This one is from Jane. It is entitled MOLLY AND ME.

This is nothing spectacular, but is really about Molly and me. At this time in my life she has been my constant companion and has brought so much joy to my home. She means the world to me. She was 3 months old when I got her and scared to death of me until it was only me and her, then she clung to me like a tree frog. But like you said once, she is a wonderful natural burglar alarm. You would think she was a 60 lb. dog the way she lunges for the door...she's only 18 lbs. Molly, my small dog (Black, miniature schnauzer with attitude) is now 13 1/2 yrs. old. I truly believe that she understands everything I say to her. Others have witnessed it too, and agreed. Like a child will do, when she doesn't want to hear it, she turns her face away from me, just as if she is ignoring me. As soon as I mention 'big bone' or 'biscuit' (treats)....I get her attention....and she will bark until I go get her one. Actually, she has me well trained, not the other way around. Thank the Lord that she doesn't know how to spell, because that is what I have to do if I am talking to someone else. For example, the word bath..... every time she hears it she quickly goes to her hut (a foldable fabric contraption that can be zipped up to keep her in..... got it for our travels, but still use it at home) and quietly lays down way in the back so that I cannot find her when it is bath time....so I began spelling it....with no reaction from her. The words stay and wait, work very well to keep her on the front porch when I go to the mailbox. In fact, I don't even have to say it at home, one finger means stay, the whole open hand means wait. The trick is to be sure you have her full attention. The phrase, 'Mommy has to run an errand', means I am leaving and you are staying here. She immediately goes to her hut (that is here safe place) and stays there until I get back. But, if she ever goes with me I cannot say anything to her until I am ready to walk out the door or she follows me around and constantly barks as if to say, come on I'm ready now! If she smells perfume on me she really knows that I am leaving and most of the time will look at me as if she is questioning me....am I going too? She has been diabetic since she was 8 yrs. old. I have the alarm on my cell phone programmed to go off every morning and evening, to remind me it is time to give her an insulin shot. Well, her inner clock works just as well. She will come to me a minute or two before the alarm goes off.....reminding me that is time for the shot....of course the fact that she gets a 'big bone' for being a good girl might be what that is all about. When she wants something she can really be a pest and a very persistent one at that. Sits and stares at you, barks numerous times, and growls. I go down the list and ask her if she wants to go out, does she need water, are you hungry, etc.....when I say whatever she wants, her head will jerk to one side and she really gets a spring to her step while circling the coffee table in the living room. Patience is not one of her virtues. When she was younger she loved her little toys, mostly stuffed animals with a squeaker inside. We had all of them named. I could tell her to go get froggy, monkey or ducky and she would get the right one every time. When I would vacuum she would help me by moving whatever toy was in the way and take it to her hut. Right now all her toys occupy two very large baskets....she isn't interested in playing any more. On a more somber note, she totally collapsed 2 months ago...couldn't have happened in a better place. We were at her doctor's office picking up her prescription food, we were in the lobby and I was in the middle of paying for it and looked around at Molly......she was drooling and looked horrible, didn't respond to me at all and then went down on her belly....I shouted that I needed help, something is wrong with Molly. Well everyone went into action, scooped her up and took her to the back....directly the doctor came back and said her blood sugar was only 30...he tried to give her some sugar without no immediate reaction....then shaved one leg to find a vein and hooked her up to glucose. He told me he needed to keep her for a while, that I could go and come back in an hour. I refused to leave her. I nervously paced in the lobby. Finally, the doctor came out again and asked if I wanted to see Molly. Of course was my answer. She was in a cage hooked up to all kinds of hospital stuff. She responded to me by trying to stand up but I told her I would wait for her...to be a good girl so she could get better. She just put her head down and I rubbed her nose for a while. The doctor wanted me to take her to the emergency animal hospital to spend the night so they could monitor her. I refused that too.....told him I could monitor her at home....would stay in the same room with her all night. He understood. (We had had a conversation about 6 months ago that due to her age, and being diabetic for so long, that no heroic action/tests, etc. I just want to be sure she is comfortable and in no pain.) An hour later her sugar level had risen to 500. He let me take her home with the understanding I was to bring her back the next morning so he could check her sugar level again. After getting Molly home, I thought, Jane you know exactly what happened.....diabetic coma. ***Jane’s father had been a diabetic, so she was aware of what was happening.

Molly was so weak.....just nibbled at her food for 4 days and I would carry her when she needed to go out (the steps were too much for her). Then all of a sudden, she started eating normally and regained her strength. She got that spring to her step back too. Right now she looks just as good and healthy as she did 3 days before her collapse.....her senior exam was on Monday; her doctor was amazed; she was the picture of health then. Of course, one of her legs looks like a Poodle leg...hair hasn't fully grown back yet. I know the inevitable is coming, but I am dreading it. Such is life!

Thank you, Jane, for the smiles and nods of understanding about Molly.

“Tabby” comes from Attabiya, a neighborhood in
    Baghdad, famous for producing beautiful silk with wavy and striped patterns. Thus, the reason for the name of a type of cat….the Tabby cat.

This one is from Susan in MD. She has “fur ball” therapists. “Oh my, the stories I could tell you about our cats! Anyway, here are a few.... Our cat Smoky likes to wake us up by “head-butting”. He meanders on up and does it right in your face so you take notice! He also is the one who likes to sit on the headboard peering at us like a Gargoyle. Our other cat Stripes, is the vocal one, she just jumps up and meows until we take notice. Pepper, however, purrs so loud that you can hear her across the room, producing a .1 magnitude earthquake when she’s lying next to you. Our 4th cat (I know, we’re gluttons for punishment – all strays!) Jasper, usually leaves us alone although occasionally he tears across the laminate floor like Satan himself is after him! Seriously, though, we love our cats dearly and wouldn’t give them up for anything!”

The little bump on the front side of your ear is called a tragus. You just touched your ear, didn’t you? Yep! I did, too. =)

Someone recently told me they didn't like me. I handed them an empty toilet paper roll. They asked why I did that. I told them, "I don't give a crap." Then, I gave them a penny and said, “Call someone who cares.” They said they couldn’t call anyone with a penny. I said, “Exactly.”

Thank God winter is finally over. Now we can kick back and enjoy tornado season!!

Smiles through this month, and probably the next month, too. Trudy
    Last edited by Trudy in Illinois; 05/06/2013, 06:05 PM.
    Whether you think you can or think you can't.....you're right.

"There is no try; you either do or don't." Yoda

Thanks, Trudy. I enjoyed the story of "Molly". I recognize the name and her "mama's" name from another website I visit often. I feel as if I know Molly and her human. Winter is over here in central Alabama also but today I changed from a t-shirt to a sweat shirt! It is cold! We are in the middle of the tornado season and keep our ears alert for weather watches/warnings. So far so good. Our yard is beautiful! All kinds of blooming plants - daffodils, azaleas, dogwood, and the woods are filled with wildflowers. I often make pictures of wild flowers and my son ask "Why are you making pictures of weeds?" He does not appreciate the beauty of these - yet. Yesterday I was driving from my sister's home in north Alabama to my home in central Alabama and got caught in a downpour of hail. In about two/three minutes the ground and road looked like it had snowed. The hail stones were about the size of peas and fortunately did not do any damage to my car but it certainly frightened me. I made some pictures just in case I needed to file an insurance claim. I need to learn to post pictures on-line so I could share some of these pictures. Again, thanks for the good read. Have a great week.

Comment

Thank you, mspete, for your appreciation of the column. Yes, Molly and Jane are readers of mine. I enjoy the stories from them and others about what they do for each other.
      Whether you think you can or think you can't.....you're right.

"There is no try; you either do or don't." Yoda

Comment

Working...
      X