2013 July newsletter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 July newsletter

I was talking to my dear friend in Florida about “me time”. 99% of the time I have the two teen terrorists in training with me during the week-end. Once in a while, one of my adult children has them come to their home for the week-end for some extended family fun. Here is what I told her, when she asked if I was having “me time or “you time”, “You" time is when you are talking to me about me having time for myself. "Me" time is when you are talking about you having time for yourself. "Me time" is when you are referring to one having time for themselves. ‘Get the hell away and leave me alone’ is when you want to make a strong point to a bothering soul while you are having "me time" thinking about me having "you time" with you at your home-resort in Florida. My friend, Kelli, was telling me, “This is probably only said at my house. Hope (age 12) comes downstairs arguing with the boys. Benny (age 6) looks at her sternly and says, ‘Hope, don't get testical with me.’”

Care too much about what other people think about you, and you will always be their prisoner.” Lao Tzu
    I think I have a little bit of OCD (obsessive-compulsive "disturbance"). When my dishwasher was installed the man asked me if it looked all right before he put in the last stabilizing screws. I looked at it and told him, "It is about 1/8th to 1/16th inch off to the left. He looked at me with a "you don't know what you're talking about" look. I told him to measure it. He did. It was 1/8th off to the left. He almost fainted. I told him, "If it bothers you, think of what it does to me. I have to live with this 24/7.") Imagine me grading compositions and all those undotted i's and uncrossed t's.
    A very wise woman said this: “Honey, folks are gonna talk about you till the day you die, and ain’t nothing you can do. LET FOLKS TALK! It ain’t about what they call you; it’s what you answer to. You remember that.” Madea I just read, "Alaska the Worst State in the Nation for Women." I don't know about that. Look at all the fur we can wear. There is very little discrimination about being fat. We can eat fat and it is acceptable. Brussels sprouts are not a popularveggie. The trouble with knowing yourself so well and having excellent intrapersonal skills (Intrapersonal skills are those skills and communications that occur within a person's own mind), is few can tell you something about yourself you don't already know and can learn from.

“It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.” Andre Gide Well, I got told I was hated because I’m a tough mother and not loved because I’m not a push-over and have rules. Guess this has all been taken care of. Moving on, now.
    Uncle Chester came over for a chat. As I poured him a cup of fresh coffee, he said, “I cain’t understand how a person can just not be productive ‘bout somethin’. Omer says he’s in a rut and has no gumption. I think the only thang that should be in a rut is a tractor tire out in the field. He, also, told me, “Ya know George Austin, don’t cha? Well, he’s got all that book larnin’, went to the university for 5 years, and doesn’t have a thang to show for it other’n two pieces uh fancy paper. Let me tell you, not always is all that book larnin’ gonna teach you a lot.” I find it interesting the wisdom he speaks.
    My horoscope said, “Make sure you are on top of your to-do list.” I thought about that, looked down and sure enough, there it was under my right foot.

Everyone, in some small sacred sanctuary of the self, is nuts. -Leo Rosten, author (1908-1997)

I saw a sign the other day. It said, “I may not be where I need to be, but I thank God I’m not where I used to be!” I don’t know about all that. I used to be a size 14; ‘am not now!
    A while back I had a friend who found it necessary to butt into any run of sentences I was saying. When I’d glare at her, she’d say, “Well, I was just giving you ‘a penny for my thoughts’.” She butted in once too often. So, when she said her usual, I countered with, “At this time, a penny for your thoughts is too pricey.” Cured her!!!
    I saw a sign which said, “Being willing to delay pleasure for a greater result is a sign of maturity.” I thought about it and came to the conclusion---home-made chocolate chip cookies and cheesecake cause me to remain a child!
    The other day I did 90 crunches. Gods, there were crumbs everywhere!

“Memories are the residents in the Land of Yesteryear which belong to us forever. Bad memories are our nemeses, but good memories are our pals and nepenthes which comfort us and give us solace.” tjr I have a male friend who told me, “Trudy, I have complimented female associates in my office on their appearance. Does that make me a sexist pig?” I told him, “No, I don’t think so. I've told some, ‘Whatever you're wearing smells very good. What is it?’ Some have said, ‘Deodorant,’ to which I said, ‘Thank you’.”

Some signs I’ve seen: Real eyes realize real lies.; I’m pretty busy today, if you could just go ahead and offend yourself for me that would be great. Thanks.; Courage does not always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again, tomorrow.”; COURAGE, when only you know you’re scared.; PATIENCE, knowing not to squeeze the poop out of the idiot who is really needing it.

“You’re upset with me aren’t you, Trudy?” the big fella said one time. “What was your first clue, buster?” I growled. “Well, your hands around my neck was a good tip-off,” he choked out.
    My 4 year old grandson is developing an interesting sense of humor. I heard a noise and asked him, “Will, did you just fart.” He looked at me with a grin and said, “No Gram. My butt blew you a kiss.” He’s so much like my son, his daddy.
    When you pet or cuddle a cat, a chemical hormone called Oxytocin is released when you pet or cuddle a cat... lowering heart rate, reducing stress & even helping wounds heal! I think this would apply to petting and/or cuddling a dog, too.
    I've tried to reduce my stress. I read where if you throw darts it helps dissipate the stress. So I started throwing them. The police told me I had to get a dart board, though. I guess someone complained.

Only mediocrity can be trusted to be always at its best.. Genius must always have lapses proportionate to its triumphs. -Max Beerbohm, essayist, parodist, and caricaturist (1872-1956)
    BARCODES: This is very important information about where things are made/from. You might consider making a copy of it and carrying it with you when you shop. Remember if the first 3 digits of a bar code are:
    890......MADE IN INDIA
    690, 691, 692 ... then it is MADE IN CHINA
    00 - 09 ... USA and CANADA
    30 - 37 ... FRANCE
    40 - 44 ... GERMANY
    471 ........ Taiwan
    45 or 49 ........JAPAN

480 Codes are Made in the PHILIPPINES
    489..........HONG KONG
    50 .......... UK
    57 .........DENMARK
    64..........FINLAND
    76..........SWITZERLAND and LIECHTENSTIEN
    471......... Made in TAIWAN
    628.........SAUDI ARABIA
    629.........UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
    740..........745 - CENTRAL AMERICA

My cousin in Georgia called me; we talked for over an hour. We laughed so hard---even went for the snort and had tears running down our cheeks. I haven’t laughed that hard for a while. It was so rewarding to talk and laugh with my first best friend.
    A friend of mine has moved from Illinois’ “tornado alley” to Oklahoma’s. They were on a tornado watch one day. She told her children a big storm called a tornado was possibly coming. Later, the 3 year old told his brother, “We need to watch out the window. Mommy told me a big “potato” is coming.”
    I think more about running away, now, than I did as a kid. But, by the time I, straighten up and get moving, find my glasses and put them on, find my keys, and go to the bathroom, I forget why I’m going.
    Please keep in mind that in two days tomorrow will be yesterday. That is all.
    Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher. -Japanese proverb

Due to all my traveling, I’ve flown off the straw. I need a new one.
    I saw a sign the other day which said: “One small crack does not mean you are broken. It means you were put to the test and you didn’t fall apart.” Hmm, so is that what my wrinkles are all about?
    If a deaf child uses swear words in their sign language, does the mother wash the child’s hands with soap? You know why Santa is so happy? He knows where all the naughty girls are. Is there another word for synonym? Would a fly without wings be called a walk? If a turtle doesn’t have a shell, is it homeless or naked? Why are there Braille instructions on the drive-though bank machines? If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done? (Thanks, Sharon!!)
    Brenduhh came over and out-of-sorts. “I’m so irritated at Marlene. She is such an egotist.” I asked her if she saw the positive in that type of personality. She said, “Well, she doesn’t talk about other people, that’s for sure.” Sometimes Brenduhh just has a screw loose and hasn’t lost the whole tool box.

Happy 4th and all the other days in between! Trudy J
    Whether you think you can or think you can't.....you're right.

"There is no try; you either do or don't." Yoda
Working...
X