Thread: Amazon.com: Kindle

Blog Entries

Question Amazon.com: Kindle

There was a note on the Amazon.com homepage today about the Kindle 2 which is coming out, so I was wondering, has anyone here ever tried the Kindle service? For those who haven't, Kindle is basically a very thin tablet computer which lets you read digital copies of your favorite books from anywhere. I've never seen one in person, but they look fairly interesting.
    Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it - William Arthur Ward
    Today is the FIRST day of the REST of your life...what will YOU make of it?
    No trees were harmed in making this post. However, millions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks for the info. MadClikr. My sister's husband has MS and is unable to use his eyes for reading (which he loves to do). I have forwarded the info to her so she can look into this new option for him.

Blog Entries

I purchased a Kindle from Amazon a few months back and just love it! The screen on it is incredible, I'm a tech person, and I haven't seen anything like it! It really does look just like paper when you're reading. The reader itself is very thin and light, I opted to purchase a cover with mine to keep it protected. It fits well in my bag to take on trips to read on the plane, the lake, or even just the car repair shop! I love that it lets me bring an entire collection of books with me wherever I like, yet takes up less space, and weighs less, than a single one of those books would by itself. Another great feature is that if there's a book you're looking for, but don't yet have, you can fairly easily search the Amazon Web site directly from the reader (for free!), and if you like, purchase the book directly from the Kindle and have it downloaded directly to the reader in just a minute or two. Love it!

There's something about printed books sitting on my shelf for perusal that I still enjoy, so it probably will not replace my physical library, but I have been very happy with my purchase, and highly recommend it for anyone looking for an eBook reader.
    Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it - William Arthur Ward
    No trees were harmed in making this post. However, millions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

My wife also has some eye difficulties with reading at times, and finds the Sony E-reader to be a very good choice. You can set the font size pretty large, and there is an attachment that lights the virtual "page". You can also back up your books on your computer, which I don't believe you can do on the Kindle. That being said, the Kindle does seem to have a broader selection of reading material, especially if you get into less mainstream books.

Blog Entries

I was looking over my Kindle account this afternoon, and it looks like you can now back your books up to your personal computer. What's more, is that my other half can now use a free software program under Linux to also connect to my Kindle account and read the books directly from his computer. This is fantastic for him, because his computer lets him magnify the text however big he likes!